The O’Hara Corporation Fleet
The O’Hara fishing fleet has evolved many times over since our founding in 1907. The first fishing vessel the O’Hara family built was the Francis J. O’Hara. She was named for his our founder, by his father and completed in 1904. She was a 104’ wooden sailing schooner which carried small dory’s. The dory’s would depart from the mother ship and hand line for cod, pollock, and flounders out of Boston, Massachusetts. The next evolution was to wooden and steel side trawlers in the 1930’s.
Working up to a fleet of 17 vessels, O’Hara was once one of the largest fishing companies in the country. O’Hara sold 13 of 17 of these vessels to the US government for the WWII war effort reducing catching capacity significantly. Remaining with side trawlers for over 40 years and with dozens of boats built, O’Hara’s next step was to steel stern trawlers. Building back up to 7 stern trawlers fishing out of Rockland, Maine, the fishery declined and boats were once again sold. O’Hara held on to the Constellation, Defender, and Enterprise who made the long trip to Alaska where they are still fishing today. These vessels have made up the heart and core business of O’Hara Corporation for over 30 years.
With the addition of our newly constructed flagship vessel Araho, and the recently acquired Alaska Spirit, O’Hara again has one of the largest fleets and catching capacity in our fishery.